MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

I have an 2002 Acura EL 1.7 Special Edition. Its just under

Customer Question

Hi there. I have an 2002 Acura EL 1.7 Special Edition. Its just under 200k. I recently noticed that it started shaking like the engine was going to shut off, but then turns back on again and shakes again and revs up once again. It actually completely shut off on me a few times. This usually happens when I leave the car idle(engine off) over night. Then the problems arise once I turn on the car again the next day. Once its moving though, it runs smoothly. I've already replaced the alternator as well. All the other maintenance was done prior to purchasing the car a couple of years back. Any ideas as to what specifically is the problem?
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its Automatic transmission
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you

so if im reading this correctly the engine will basically idle very low and then stall or want to stall and run rough

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah exactly

ok sounds like two possible issues

1 been a failing idle air control valve or low coolant in the cooling system

2 a dirty throttle plate

so to see if the throttle plate is dirty remove the air filter top and remove the air filter then look into the center of the opening and see if the throttle plate is clean at the edges or black with carbon.

if this is clean then lets check to see if their is any stored codes in the computer.

if all these items are ok and no issues then it's a failing idle air control motor and will need to be replaced.

Hello just checking in on you to see if this was resolved ?