Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I'm working on a 2008 Honda Pilot 3.5L engine with

Customer Question

I'm working on a 2008 Honda Pilot 3.5L engine with 120,000 miles. Crank ok, but no start. Scanned for codes and got P0300, P0301 thru P0306. I figured not all 6 coils could go out. So I replaced all 6 spark plugs. Engine cranked ok but still no start.
Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the engine started. Checked fuel pump fuse, ok. Searched in vain for the fuel pump relay. Checked the connector to the fuel pump for voltage, no voltage. Applied power to the fuel pump connector and the fuel pump activated.
Good pressure and was able to start engine. My question is, where is the fuel pump relay located at? Do you have a schematic showing the exact location? I have looked under the driver's side dash left of the steering column to no avail. Hoping you can help.
Thank you.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Below is a link to the diagrams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PGMrelay.pdf

The PGM relays under the left side of the dash are the relays used to power the fuel pump. Do you need help diagnosing them or do you have it under control with the diagrams?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Chris, I still need your help. I found 5 relays on a relay board all looking the same. 4 tabs. I switched them out one by one to see if it would power up the fuel pump. No luck. So I traced wires and tested for continuity. Nothing again. There's another board with relays on it on the right side of the steering column. These however are 5 tab relays. Did a continuity test on these and none seem to connect with the hot line going to the fuel pump. Am I missing something here? I don't see any other relays under the dash.

The PGM relays for the fuel pump are under the left side of the dash above the right foot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me get this straight. You said left side of dash under the right foot? These relays, how many tabs on them. 4 or 5? Because there is another group of relays and these have 5 tabs on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are to the right of the steering column above the right foot.

I said "The PGM relays for the fuel pump are under the left side of the dash above the right foot."

Above the right foot. I do not have an image of the relays removed, but the diagrams show them to be 5 pin relays. Rarely ever are the 5th pin ever even used in relays unless powering a motor that operates forward and backwards. Did you see the relay wire colors from the diagram I sent prior?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. It looked to me that the relays were a four pin. That's where I focused my attention. There are two groups of relays each with five relays. One group has four pin and the other has 5 pins. I'll try and test for continuity in the other group of relays and let you know what I find. Thanks Chris.

PGM relay shows it uses pins 1-2-3-5 which normally means pin 4 is there but not used.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the PGM relay is as you said, left side of dash under right foot. These are the 5 pin relays. The red/org wire goes from fuel pump into a connector then on to the relay. I have continuity to the backside (wire from pump) of the connector but nothing after that. Took the connector apart and found the wire was burnt and melted the portion of the connector for the red/org wire. I think my problem is solved for the most part. I'll bypass the connector by splicing in a wire and replace the CORRECT relay. Thanks Chris for your patience with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know tomorrow how things turned out.

Glad I could help.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.