Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My 1999 acura 3.2tl had the check engine light come on, it

Customer Question

my 1999 acura 3.2tl had the check engine light come on, it was for the throttle body assembly
my son has the car in Buffalo and we live 360 miles away
the car hesistates, then he heard a bang and the car bucked, and then it moved agaoin, came to a stop sign, felt like it would stall, but didnt and then repeated the process
the car was towed to a dealer
they reset the code and it hasnt come back on, at least not yet
my concern is that if we dont repair it, he will breeak down dsomewhere on his 360 mile trek home
any insights or fatherly advice would be appreciated
Category: Acura
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you kniow the actual code number they pulled from the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he didnt tell me, all he said wa that the code was for the throttle bodyassembly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hes not pushing me to fix it, his sense it that it was a false code
with the car being 16 years old, and wanting my son to drive it safely, I am not rue that we should do the repair
looking for guidance
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, this is usually caused by a dirty throttle boore, carbon build up around the throttle plates and set different codes, has he had the throttle body cleaned yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont believe so, i think all he did was reset the code
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

did the shop want to replace the throttle body?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, hes still driving the car t see if he can replicate the code againhe wants to send me on my merry waymy feeling is that the code went off for a reason and I dont want my son to get stuck or in an accident
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

We see this alot,but usually cleaning the throttle bore remedies it, I have never had to replace it, most shops will clean the throttle bore for about 40 dollars, and he should not have a problem driving it home,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you sir
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks in advance,Tim