thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

2001 acura mdx, I,m the original owner. VTM-4 light and

Customer Question

2001 acura mdx, I,m the original owner. VTM-4 light and check engine lights are on. Its driving beautifully, but MPG has started to decrease. New tires and brakes yesterday, as well as new front peripheral axle work due to worn out boots. Ideas?
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try to help you with your concern . Please note that I am not standing in front of your vehicle. My diagnosis is a educated guess at best using all the information you provide. Leaving out import things you have tried, experienced or recent work performed only makes my job harder.

Usually when the check engine and Vtm-4 lights are on at the same time its an indication of a hesitation noticed by the computer in the engine.

Have you had the codes check yet? If not we need to start there. There are many auto part stores that will check the code for free.

get the code(s) and repost them here and I will be able t help you further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows P0135 bank 1 sensor 1

Thanks for the information. P0135 indicates a faulty heater circuit in the oxygen sensor. replacing the oxygen sensor is the repair. That would explain some loss in fuel economy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why the simultaneous VTM-4 warning light?

some times the light will come on with the check engine light. It should clear when you clear the check engine light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The EGR would throw its own independent code separate from the oxi sensor? No need to worry about the EGR then?

yes if the egr was a concern then you would have a code p0401 or similar