thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

The trip computer on my 2001 acura mdx has defaulted to the

Customer Question

The trip computer on my 2001 acura mdx has defaulted to the clock. Screen's fine. Just no computer ... which makes adjusting the A/C and fan a real challenge. The only button that works is the clock. All of the other electronics seem to be working fine. Any ideas?
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS ... I've swapped existing fuses with other existing fuses and disconnected the battery for 5 mins. All lights, seat heaters, cig lighter phone chargers, radio, etc work fine. This is the base model MDX with NO navigation.
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern. Please know that I am not there in front of your vehicle and my diagnosis is a educated guess at best using all the information YOU provide to me.

Based on my extensive experience with this vehicle, the electronics for the computer is faulty, This is a common failure for this model. The repair is unfortunately not easy. you will need to replace the display, This can be expensive.

options are replace with a new or rebuilt unit

replace with a salvage yard unit

or have your unit repaired by an independent radio company

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured that might be my only option. Looks like I'll need to hunt one down. Any tricks or advice you can provide regarding pulling the old unit out would be appreciated.

only advise I have is take you time make sure you have all the screws are out. and have a plastic straight piece to help pry the panel away from the dash without causing any damage.

let me know if you run into any issues. I'm here to help