justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

I have a 97 acura cl 3.0 and it's got 180000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 97 acura cl 3.0 and it's got 180000 miles on it. Recently I've seen after driving about 10 minutes there's smoke coming from under the hood and a bit of a burning smell. But it still drives fine.
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I work on only Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week so I know the brand well. There are several places the smoke can be coming from. If it smells sort of sweet this would indicate anti-freeze is burning off and steaming. There are multiple places that anti-freeze can be coming from. The more common leaking place would be the top tank of the radiator. It usually develops a crack and starts to leak out and then burn off causing steam. If it is an oil leak I would first look at the valve cover gaskets. usually the valve cover gaskets start leaking oil and then the oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold causing it to burn off and creates smoke. There are many other places this smoke or steam can be coming from. I've given you two of the most common places and depending on whether it is steam from anti-freeze or smoke from oil will determine which places we need to look. Check out those two spots and if you see an issue, it will need to be repaired. I can give advice about that as well.

Please go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of the valve cover. There are two (front and back), one for each bank of cylinders

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my time and advice. If you need more information about this issue just let me know and I will gladly assist further. Thanks

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.