thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

I have a Acura rdx 2007 with the technology package which i

Customer Question

I have a Acura rdx 2007 with the technology package which i shipped overseas.someone was working on the air conditioning and i think may have tampered with something and caused it to affect the radio.The radio/cd player nolonger works and the display screen is black nolonger indicating temperature controls or radio info.i took it to the honda dealership there, the fuses have all been checked and its not it.after a long period of back and fort, now they are saying its likely the volume radio knob which is the problem(sincerely ***** ***** if they really know what they are doing cos they don't see a lot of Acura cars there). now i'm torn between having to buy a new radio unit to replace and they even aren't 100% sure it might fix the issue.
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try to assist you the best I can. electrical issues are by far the hardest to diagnose especially over the computer. Please be patient and ask as many questions as you like.

Did you check the fuses yourself or are you going on the word of the dealer?

What was exactly done to repair the a/c system?

I need as much information as you can provide.

are you equipped if need to remove the radio to check for power and grounds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay but i had to get more info.so basically i understand the person working on the ac ,did a direct wire connection from the battery to the compressor cos it wasn't coming on and realized later that he had later blown something inside cos all the dash lights and the navigation screen wasn't coming on. He took it to an electrical person who after many trial and errors managed to get the lights and navigation screen back on but the radioand upper display screen wasnt still working.i travelled back to ghana for a couple of days and i had a look at it and i realized that what the electrical person did was he did a direct wire connection from one of the power lines at the back of the radio units to be able to get the car beeping when you turn the key to ignition.if you you take the wire out it didnt beep on ignition. before i sent it to the dealership there i took it to 2 electricians who tested all the fuses beneath the driver side and they where all working fine . i can always call them to check for power and grounds.

yes the next logical step would be to check for power and grounds to the audio unit. If they are good then I suspect the audio unit is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a possibility that it may just be the volume radio knob that can be affected versus the whole unit. and if i happen to buy an after market radio unit will it have to be reprogrammed or it will just fit without having to do anything.any recommendations to where i can buy one and do i need to make sure its a tech package radio unit or the base too will fit perfectly well.

if power and grounds are good to the audio unit, it could be the knob or the unit could be at fault. a aftermarket will fit but with some modifications and harness adapters. You can try www.crutchfield.com they have representatives that you can talk to you that can walk you through the whole process.