justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

Have a 1999 acura tl, initial ck engine code P0401 Egr,

Customer Question

Have a 1999 acura tl, initial ck engine code P0401 Egr, removed intake and cleaned out as recommended. Started car and notice idle in park jumpy between 1500 - 2000 rpm. Idle in drive @ 1000rpm, realized did not have throttle body gasket (spacer) put a new one, same issue, now idle in drive @ 1100rpm (P0505, IACV). There is one vacuum hose on rear upper left rear of manifold that is broke and was not connected to anything. Thinking this is the cause of my problems. Have a new IACV but can't remove the 2 screws holding it down and didn't want to have to remove the linkage, (nor do i Know how to do so to access by turning over throttle body.
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I see this all the time. What usually happens when the carbon is cleaned in the intake pieces of loose carbon will get stuck in the IAC valve and cause the idle fluctuation. Most of the time the carbon can be cleaned out of the IAC, but since you have a new one that's even better. There is no easy way to replace that valve other than pulling the intake off again, which is not bad to remove. If you have a short stubby phillips blade driver you can try removing the screw from the bottom, but it is a real pain. You will save time and aggregation by removing the intake to access the screws.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thnks

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Yes, after you remove the intake the screws will be completely accessible. This is how I and many other techs replace the IAC valve. Trying to access the screws while the intake is not off is a real headache and not worth the time and aggravation.

Please remember to rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges after you rate so you can keep on asking me questions about this issue.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my time and advice. If you need more information about this issue just let me know and I will gladly assist further. Thanks