HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

2009 acura tl 2wd with diagnostic test that showed bank 1 &

Customer Question

2009 acura tl 2wd with diagnostic test that showed bank 1 & 2 with excessive air intake. What are likely fixes?
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

was the check engine light on? what codes did you find? how did you clean the converter?

what other work has been performed recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine light was on yellow. 0420 was the code. A mechanic came to the house and ran diagnostics, used camera to view convertor, how it was renewed, I don't know. His diagnostics showed bank 1 pulling 22 on the meter for air intake and bank 2 18 on the meter for air intake. His thought was that there was an air intake leak making the computer feed more fuel and clogging up the works. Am getting it ready to sell and would like to fix if not too expensive.

I am not understanding what the 22 and 18 means

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the diagnostic machine the mechanic used, there was a graph for each bank of the engine. The reading should have been zero on both banks. The reading showed one side at 22, and I am assuming that is in atmospheres, and the other at 18. His comment was that if it reaches 25 the engine light will come on again. That's all I know about it. I asked him how to fix and he said it could be a number of things. A head gasket leak, vacuum line leak, don't know the correct name, but an air reservoir for the emission control system or some valve that could be carbon coated and needs to be cleaned.

ok what have you checked or looked at so far. please give me all the information you can. hoew many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2009 acura TL*****technology package with 83000 miles. About 5 months ago we spent 2400 to replace the alternator and battery at the dealership. As far as I know, no correlation between that and this problem. The engine light came on just as we were selling the car. Took it to the dealer and the 0420 code showed up. They wanted 1000 to replace the catalytic convertor. Looked on the internet and found a company in town called catalytic convertor rejuvenators. He is the person that gave me the above information.

has the code been cleared?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car has been inspected and passed inspection

ok its possible that if his treatment of the catalytic converter worked, which I highly doubt. the likelihood of the light coming back on are slim. You are selling the vehicle correct?

the only things that would affect both banks on the readings would be a false air leak or an intake leak but on both banks.

check the intake hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body and see if there are any cracks or breaks, also check to make sure it is tight

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

do you have any other concerns or questions?

are you completely satisfied?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Satisfied

thanks very much for your business. please take a moment and accept the answer so that I may get credit for my answers.

thanks again for using justanswer.com

Can you please accept my answer? I do not receive any credit for my help unless you click the "accept" tab.

Thanks again