justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

I have a 1990 acura integra,it was running a few wks ago

Customer Question

I have a 1990 acura integra,it was running a few wks ago when i bought the car the battery was bad so i got a new battery and put a new key cylinder since the car didnt have a key everything turns on but the car does not crank or even attempt to turn over,so im assuming bad starter,please any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

This is Justin and I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won'e be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

If this is a manual transmission I would first check to make sure the plastic plug stopper has not fallen out of the clutch pedal arm. If you look on the clutch pedal to locate the clutch switch which is screwed into the arm you will find a hole where a plastic plug goes to contact the clutch switch when the pedal is pressed. If this plug is missing you can try manually pushing the clutch switch in with your finger and then trying to start the vehicle. If that plug is missing and you can start the vehicle while manually pushing in the clutch switch you will just need to buy a new stopper. If the plug is not missing then you will need a test light or multimeter to check for power at the Black/White wire on the starter motor. This wire is attached to the "S" terminal of the starter. While someone is holding the key over in the start position you need to verify that there is or isn't 9-12 volts on this wire. If there is the starter needs to be replaced. If not let me know and we can continue.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks