Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2009 Acura RDX that AC doesnt work. Had it

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Acura RDX that AC doesnt work. Had it recharged and had the compressor replaced twice. The mechanic can reach down when the car is running and hits something with his screwdriver and then it works. He claims its some type of magnet that has to catch so some vent closes. Do you know what he is talking about and how to correct?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The mechanic is talking about the AC clutch. It works like an electromagnet to engage the AC compressor. When you turn on the AC it sends voltage to the clutch which then clings to the pulley from magnetic force. As the clutch wears out the gap between the clutch and the AC compressor pulley increases and eventually there is too much distance between the clutch and the pulley to engage correctly. The clutch can either be replaced or adjusted with little shims. In my opinion the best bet is to replace the clutch rather than shim it down because the labor is the same for both jobs and it seems more cost effective to me to just replace the part while you have it all taken apart.

Here is a diagram from Acura explaining how this is done.

If you have already had the compressor replaced then I would suspect whomever replaced it did not check and adjust the air gap on the clutch before the compressor was installed, or the clutch magnet was weak and it should have been replaced along with the compressor.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I haven't seen a response in a few days and wanted to know if you had any more questions for me. I hope I have been helpful and would appreciate a rating on my response if I have. Thanks!