Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I HAVE AN ACURA TL THAT THE HEADLIGHTS SEEM TO WORK WHEN

Customer Question

I HAVE AN ACURA TL THAT THE HEADLIGHTS SEEM TO WORK WHEN THEY WANT. Sometimes i can turn them on and only one works, sometimes neither works and sometimes all of them work
Category: Acura
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I need a little more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was anything done on the vehicle that may have caused this issue?

Has anything after market been installed?

Let me know so we can continue,thank Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing that the customer is aware of, no aftermarket parts. We installed new ballast, bulbs and harness. worked fine for 5 days and now the lights seem to work when they want
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i turn the light switch on sometimes all lights come on, sometimes just one or the other or sometimes none at all. originally customer came in with the same problem. there was a bad ballast so the customer replaced all ballast, bulbs and harness per our recommendation.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Has the vehicle had the fault codes checked in all computers to see if any computers show any codes set?This needs done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fault codes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the diagram info on this here since in some cases only one comes on and in other cases neither comes on this sounds to be a fault with the relay control module located in the under hood fuse and relay center.This control module receives the signals from the switch through the combination switch control unit and MICU.Usually if it was the combination switch control unit or MICU this would cause both to not come on and since one does come on intermittently this sounds like the relay control module in the fuse panel needing replaced.

I would inspect the wiring in the under hood fuse and relay panel and make sure it is all o.k.If found to be o.k. I suspect the relay control module itself needs replaced to correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've inspected all wiring and all seems ok, where is the relay control module located?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My info shows it as being built into the under hood fuse/relay box itself.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relay control module clicks when the lights are turned on, no burnt wires on the connector
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If it clicks this usually indicates all of the signals to it are present from the MICU as well as the switch and switch control unit itself.This sounds like the relay control module may be clicking but the contacts in it may be wore out not sending the signals out to operate the lights properly intermittently.

Thanks Pete