sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2006 RL, the battery dies when the car is off day

Customer Question

I have a 2006 RL, the battery dies when the car is off for a day or so. Is it the HFL?
ID the HFL behind the glove box on this car? Can I just disconnect it to see if it is the issue?
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are literally dozens of things that can cause the battery to die while it sits. The battery itself may be the issue and it should be load tested to check it's condition, or the issue may be something drawing current while the car is at rest.

If there is a draw it could be a module staying awake, a light staying on or coming on intermittently on it's own (the glovebox lamp for example), a failed door ajar switch causing intermittent activity on it's own, the alternator can even cause a draw.

If the battery tests good then what should be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post and after everything times out if the draw is above 30-40 mA then there is cause for a concern. At that point you can disconnect the hand free module if you're suspecting it and see if the current draw drops, or you can remove fuses one at a time and see when it drops and then concentrate on components on that circuit.