FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

My 2006 Acura TL 3.2 is experiencing a very rough idle. I

Customer Question

My 2006 Acura TL 3.2 is experiencing a very rough idle. I have narrowed it down to cylinder #5 having no spark at idle. When there is any gas pressed, the spark appears and is strong. It runs well and fast above idle. Things I have tried: Power balance
test. The results pointed me to cylinder #5. The middle cylinder facing the front of the car. Spark test. Again cylinder #5 has zero spark at idle, but if any gas is pressed the spark shows up strongly. Plugs are new, not fouled or wet. Compression test. 195
across the board. Switched coils with a known good one. Same problem. Checked timing. Good. Checked timing belt. Good. Checked Crankshaft Position Sensor with a new one. Same problem. Cleaned the throttle body as best I could. No change. Where do I go from
here??
Category: Acura
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the ground at coil. It's good. Checked signal wires with voltmeter. Same voltage as all the others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I lose you Bobby?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was not available to get online earlier. If the check engine light is not coming on and you know that it is an issue with that particular cylinder then it may be a slightly clogged injector or some carbon build up on the valves. It can also be a vacuum leak near that cylinder but I do not see that often on this engine. I would run some seafoam through the intake and see if it clears out any carbon build up. If that does not do it use a good quality injector cleaner or have the injectors professionally cleaned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. This is unequivocally a spark issue. I have had the intake off and could see the intake valves. There was no alarming carbon buildup. Would an injector problem cause the cylinder to not spark at idle?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

An injector issue would not cause this unless there was a misfire code. If you do not have a misfire code then the fact that it is losing spark would be either related to a failing ECM or the circuit.