Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

I have an intermittent whistle which comes from the a/c unit

Customer Question

I have an intermittent whistle which comes from the a/c unit under the dash. It only occurs when the fan is on and in a/c mode. We have replaced the fan, the expansion valves and the refrigerant. It occurs during regular and recirculation mode. The noise does not relate to the speed of the fan or the speed that the vehicle is travelling. Although it tends to occur more often when the ambien temperature is high, it has also occurred at moderate temps. None o the service bulletins issued by Acura apply to this situation. Two Acura dealers have tried to establish the cause over the past 4 years with no success.
Unit is 2007 MDX
HELP !!!!
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I know you have said that you have already replaced the blower motor. I have had multiple MDXs fixed by replacing the fan motors. I have even had a brand new fan motor replaced and it made the same noise as the old fan. The fan, when under heavier loads, such as in higher temperatures, re circulation mode etc. the bearings in the fan begin to fail causing the noise that you are hearing.

The sure fire way to find the sound is to use a stethoscope to pinpoint were the noise is coming from. From my experience it will most likely be a bad fan, even though it has been replaced in the past.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer actually replaced the blower fan twice, six months apart. Are you suggesting that the bearings were dry in the new motor as well? The odds against this seem pretty high but if it is the case, would I be better off to try an aftermarket motor or a used one from a salvage yard? The whistle is so intermittent that it is not possible to use a stethoscope on it when it actually happens. Sometimes it is weeks apart and sometimes it is hours apart but never often enough to scope it.Bill

For some reason, the manufacturer of the OEM fan motor has had a problem in manufacturing. This is a problem that they haven't owned up to.

If you can find an after market part or even a used one from a salvage yard that would work just fine.

Good luck and sorry for your inconvenience, just know that your not the only one with this problem.