Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on Acura and Honda vehicles for over 30 years. I have an associates degree in automotive and factory training.
75670266

Ok, so I did everything you recommended plus changed the

Customer Question

Ok, so I did everything you recommended plus changed the thermostat, did a full flush on the cooling system, and replaced both radiator fans and relays. It is still getting fully hot at random. Could it be the heater core? I also noticed the a/c clutch
is beginning to get noisy. Or one more thing could it be the fan thermostats? I'm stressing out because at the moment it is the family's only car currently. Previous conversation: I have a 2003 Honda Civic Ex 1.7l. It's... I have a 2003 Honda Civic Ex 1.7l.
It's over heating. I've changed the thermostat, checked the fans and relays, now I'm stuck 17 May 2015 07:28 17 May 2015 07:31 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura Welcome to JustAnswer. When does it overheat? Driving highway speeds or in stop and go traffic?
Does the heater put out good heat? Are you adding coolant with no visible leaks? Thanks, ***** ***** May 2015 08:00 Overheats when stuck in traffic or in line at drive thru with a/c on. Turn heater full blast it goes down to normal. Haven't had to add coolant
unless it has been allowed to get hot. 17 May 2015 08:06 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura Do you hear the fans running when it's overheating? Do they come on with the A/C? 17 May 2015 08:08 Yes, but I can't tell if they both are. 17 May 2015 08:10 I've
thought of the fans and one of them possibly not working, but besides them what could be an issue? 17 May 2015 08:13 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura If one fan is not working it can overheat especially with the A/C on. I have an easy test to see if
both come on. You can open the hood and see whats going on. 17 May 2015 08:14 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura You can also use a jumper wire at the fan switch connector. 17 May 2015 08:14 cool...what is it? 17 May 2015 08:17 oh was that it or did you
have another thing to try? 17 May 2015 08:18 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura Turn the ignition on and unplug the fan switch connector. Touch the jumper wire to the 2 metal contacts. Then you can see which fans are working. 219ee53c-799c-4a23-9a54-e738a580f632_fanswitch.pdf
17 May 2015 08:19 Ok cool....thanks can't try it right now but i will....what if they both test good? the core. 17 May 2015 08:21 Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura If one fan is not working hit the motor with a solid object. Sometimes the fan will come
on if it's bad. After you check it let me know what happens. If both fans come on you might want to wait for the engine to overheat again. The problem may be intermittent. Your symptoms point to a fan problem. 17 May 2015 08:22 ok thanks 17 May 2015 08:23
Honda-Man Honda-Man Mechanic for Acura There is no hurry but please come back and let me know what happens. You can rate me now or when you come back either way I will continue to help. Thanks! Honda-Man
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more info from me?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

So I guess it's still overheating but only at a stop? Does it ever get hot when driving down the road at highway speeds? It sounds like the head gasket might be leaking. It can cause pressure in the cooling system and make the coolant come out the overflow bottle. Your first question and my questioning made it seem like a fan issue because it was only overheating at stops.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will do it driving or at a stop, or slow pace. I just now rechecked everything...fans, relays, thermostat, top off the a/c with refrigerant. One thing I did forget was I keep having to add coolant, but there are no visible leaks anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also check the oil and it has no coolant in it.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Well it sounds like the head gasket is leaking. It's common for your generation Civic to have head gasket problems. That was why I asked before about if it did it when driving down the road. You said "Overheats when stuck in traffic or in line at drive thru with a/c on" So I went on to help with a fan issue. If you are adding coolant with no visible leaks the head gasket is bad. Honda vehicles usually don't mix coolant and oil when the head gasket is bad. I have seen this exact problem so many times before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you. I will change it and see what happens from there.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good!

Honda-Man