Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

RL: Just had my B1 service on a 2006 Acura RL with 106,900

Customer Question

Just had my B1 service on a 2006 Acura RL with 106,900 miles (bought the car new). No problems, but at the service, they said they had to reset the battery. Since then I have driven it 250 miles. but this morning, as I backed into my parking spot, and flipped the left switch on my side view mirror so it would point down (nice safety aspect to pickup the line marker); the check engine light came on, followed by the P-1717 check transmission system code, then the check Emission light system came on, then the check AFS light system came on.
Could the battery reconnect have set off all these error codes? Thanks
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0730 on 7/29/15 (edits add clarity and update follows)Just had my B1 service on a 2006 Acura RL with 106,900 miles (bought the car new). No problems highlighted in the service, passed emissions, and they said they had to reset the battery (it was not properly connected). Since then I have driven it about 150 miles, but this morning, as I backed into my parking spot, and flipped the left switch on my side view mirror so it would point down (nice safety aspect to pick up the line marker); the check engine light came on, followed by the P-1717 check transmission system code, then the check Emission light system came on, then the check AFS light system came on.
Could the battery reconnect have set off all these error codes? ThanksUpdate 1205 on 7/29/15Started the car and the amber check engine light was on. Then a notice to Check Emissions Systems light came on followed by a second notice to check the AFS system light. No reference to the transmission which makes me think the rsetting of the battery may have triggered this whole "Check System" notification system issue. As for the emissions, the car passed the emissions test on Sunday at the dealer.
What are your thoughts before I contact the Acura service dealer.
Thank you,
Chip
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This does sound like something may have occurred when they reset the battery.This may have caused loss of voltage codes to set or certain vehicle sensor and computer learn ins to be lost and the computers may need to be relearned to the vehicle.
I would contact the facility that worked on your vehicle to see if they will take a look at it to see if for sure this is something they caused and if it is if they will correct it for you at no charge.Let them know you didn't have this issue until they did their last work.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,
Excellent advice; and although it was not timely, it is the path I proceeded forward with yesterday afternoon around 1400.At that time, the Acura Service Advisor asked that I give it three to five days to reset the codes. And as of last evening, all the codes reset "on their own" and I no longer have any of the ***** *****ghts.I will pay the $14 monthly fee for your answer, but will also cancel the service as I hope to not have need for it any time soon. With that said, during the inspection on Sunday, they suggested that I consider replacing both the front and rear struts (which they claim are leaking but still at 50 percent). Pricey to replace with Acura equipment at around $2,000 for parts and labor. This car drives fine almost like new and we have no adverse wear on the tires. I go slow over speed bumps and in Houston, you will hit the occasional pothole.
1. Should I be concerned about the 50 percent usage on the "leaking struts"?
2. Are there non OEM struts you would recommend or should I start looking for a new car? I put 250,000 miles on two Acura Legends (fantastic automobiles), but in both those cases the last 10,000 miles cost me an arm and a leg to keep running (replaced nearly all the ac components, cv joints, radiator, electrical gremlins started to show up, radio went bad, antennae motor, window motors, etc.) Ultimately one just gives up and buys a new car......
3. Is the 2006 Acura RL just beginning this long journey to expensive repairs? Your insight is appreciated given that year to date I have replaced two motor mounts, rear brakes, new tires (only the second set since the OEMs gave out at 50,000 miles), and done all the expensive fluids / flushes (brakes, transmission, differential, filters, rear end, steering, etc.) If I take all those dollars and divide by the first seven months of the year, I could have driven a brand new vehicle under lease or purchase. Instead, I have my old beloved 2006 Acura RL.
Chip
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
I wouldn't be to concerned if the vehicle still rides nicely but at some point they will need replaced.Usually a tire shop can install new ones much cheaper and I have used Monroe before with great success.
This doesn't indicate there will be any more issues on your vehicle as it is hard to say if anything else will fail at any time.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well said. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help above.
Thanks Pete