acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

TL: ! My check charging system light has been coming in

Customer Question

Hello! My check charging system light has been coming in for about a month now. I went to auto zone and was told I needed to change my serpentine belt--I did that about 2 weeks ago and today, the light came on again except I could barely drive my car and I was at a red light. I managed to get the car around the corner, across from an Advanced Auto Parts store. Once I stopped the car, the Check Power Steering light came on followed by the Check VSA System and Check Airbag System. I shut the car off and it would t turn on again for about 15 mins. After that, it wouldn't turn over. The associate took one look at my battery and made the assumption that it needed to be replaced because it was a 2009 factory Honda battery. Just spent $205 on a new battery and already, my Check Charging System light is back on. Please help!!
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have a bad alternator. You need to have the charging system checked. All these things happen when the system voltage is low due to a bad alternator. You might want to get a factory Acura rebuilt alternator though. The auto part store ones are not very dependable in these models due to the fact that the engine computer controls the output and they don't seem to always work. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Is it normal for the reading on the diagnostic test to say the alternator is fine while still having this issue?
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
This alternator requires a digital tester to test it. An old school tester wont always show the problem. Try to find a shop with a Midtronics GR-8 tester with Acura software to test it. However the fact that the charge light is on and the battery goes dead is a pretty good indication of an alternator problem.