justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

Tl: My sisters acura tl 2008 battery indicator light came on

Customer Question

My sisters acura tl 2008 battery indicator light came on while driving to Houston from Dallas. How far can she drive her car. She can't find any auto shops open
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. It really depends on the battery condition as to how long she can drive it. I would say no more than an hour to 1.5 hours on a battery in very good condition. If the battery is marginal you can knock a substantial amount of time off of that. Tell her to turn off all electrical loads such as a/c, radio, ect... The lighter the electrical load the longer the battery will last. The battery indicator comes on when the alternator stops charging. When that happens the vehicle is being operated solely on the battery, rather than the alternator. I don't know the distance between the two points your sister is driving, but if it is longer than the above mentioned she might try stopping by a store like Advance Auto or Auto Zone and having a fresh battery put in. This will be a band aid until she can get a new alternator installed. You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to provide a positive rating so I can get credit for my time and advice. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know. I will do my very best to provide you with additional information at no extra cost. Thanks!