sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Acura TL Type S: My AC started blowing hot air. Thought I was

Customer Question

My AC started blowing hot air. Thought I was out of refrigerant so I went to autozone got a can, connected it to my car and as soon as I plug it in a had like hot heat shooting back in the can (the car wasn't running). So I made the mistake of pumping it through with the AC not running. I finally turned the AC on and continue pumping in the refrigerant and that didn't help. Took the car to Sear auto Center, the told me I have an AC leak out of the water leak of the evaporator and suggested I replace the evaporator. So I was wondering, if that was my problem, wouldn't I have cold air at least for a couple of minutes or hours after I recharge it? The clutch on the compressor kicks in just fine when I turn on the AC. I also noticed there was some type of rubber string coming out between the compressor and it's pulley. What do you think about this?
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
If you can upload a picture of what you're seeing at the compressor I can take a look, it sounds like it may be part of the clutch or possibly foreign debris.
If there is refrigerant present at the heater box drain tube then the evaporator needs to be replaced for sure. If there is oil or dye apparent there then the evaporator is leaking badly. If the leak is bad enough ten you won't get it to charge fully, if it had a minor leak then you would probably be able to charge it and get cool air at least for a time. Without knowing more details of how you're charging it or how much you're putting in it's hard to say if you're initially charging fully it or even able to charged it properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pulled the rubber string from the clutch, it looked like tire or belt debris. I just went out and pressed the valve on the return line and all I had was air coming out. I drained out the air and press the valve on the supply line and got nothing. I do see a green liquid around the supply valve, not sure if that was Sears trying to recharge it. Anything you would suggest I try for a more conclusive diagnostic?
If there is dye or oil coming from the heater box drain tube then the evaporator will need to be replaced. You can try charging it again and see if you're able to locate any other leaks, but if someone actually saw a leak from the heater box then the evaporator needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said there was a leak out of the water drip. Not sure if that's the same think as what you are talking about
Your first post said that the shop found a refrigerant leak out of the heater box condensation drain. If that is correct then the evaporator needs to be replaced.