Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech
7276279

Acura RDX: Bobby: We have a brand new Acura RDX. My sitter

Customer Question

Hi Bobby: We have a brand new Acura RDX. My sitter bought unleaded (89 octane) gas for it when my spouse had let the tank run completely low after a 75-mile trip. Next day it wouldn't start and had it towed to dealer. Mechanic says that she used "too high ethanol" gas. How is this possible? i called the gas station and all they sell is unleaded, premium (which wouldn't hurt the car) and diesel (the nozzle can't fit into the gas tank). Is it possible that this was caused bnecause my husband drove too long with low gas? He wants to blame my sitter
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In most cases running the higher grade of fuel in the tank will not normally hurt the fuel pump and or the fuel system. If the tank was ran out of fuel its more likely the fuel pump was damaged. What is it they are telling you that needs to be replaced?