justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

MDX: 2001 Acura MDX the A.C stop blowing while I was driving

Customer Question

2001 Acura MDX the A.C stop blowing while I was driving down the road ac comp. Does not cycle either I have texted the blower motor it is good I checked fuses and I have put a new relay under the hood and a new resistor under the glove box . What am I missing where do I go next ?
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tested the CCU but I dont know how you would test it it does light up and it changes temp is there a way to test this our is there a way to work around it I dont mind flipping a switch to run the blower motor or the compressor .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Local Mechanic Recommendations + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer. I have a pretty good idea of what the problem is. There are two likely possibilities. The first and cheapest would be a faulty compressor clutch relay. The next time the a/c quits try swapping the compressor clutch relay with the radiator fan relay (see fuse box diagram provided to determine the relay locations). If the compressor re-engages when swapping the relay then the relay is faulty. You can also try pushing down on the relay to see if you can get it to engage. The contacts within the relay burn and loose connection so sometimes jiggling or pushing down on the top of it will cause it to engage. The next most likely problem is a faulty compressor clutch field coil. This is a very common failure item on practically all Honda/Acura models. If there is power to the compressor clutch but it still isn't engaging the field coil is bad. You will see a connector in the picture provided. You will be checking for power on the harness side (not the compressor side) of the connector with the engine running and the a/c switch ON. I do not recommend field coil replacement for novice or inexperienced DIY'ers. This is a fairly complicated repair. I will also include a picture of the field coil location as well as a link to view the part, part number, and pricing. It will be #11 on the parts list. Also note that whenever you turn on the a/c with the engine running the cooling fans should run whenever the compressor is on. If the fans are running when the a/c switch is turned on, but the compressor is not running this is a good indication that the relay and/or field coil is faulty. We see tons of faulty field coils, so it's a very common problem.You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks.http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/parts-list/2001-acura-mdx-5dr-prem-pkg-ka5at/a-c-compressor.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just driving down the road when the blower motor just stopped it hasnt came back on except when I added power to check it .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also when the motor is running the compressor does not engage . I have swaped relays around under the hood with no change . Is there a relay under the dash of the car ? is it likley that the coil will cause the blower motor to stop and not run at all ? Is there a way to test it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldnt the heater side still work if it was the coil ? Also this has the navigation and auto controls . Could it be like the CCU ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check in the morning to see if it has power going to it Im thinking it wont have power but I will find out .
Thanks and I will give you a positive as soon as we find the problem . No offense toward you in any way but I have had a experience with a person that I rated postive never replied after the rating