justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

Integra: Will ac pressure switch cause the ac condenser fan

Customer Question

Will ac pressure switch cause the ac condenser fan not to work properly?
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.The a/c pressure switch will not directly cause the condenser fan to not work. It will cause the compressor not to work, in turn causing the condenser fan not to work when the a/c switch is on. If the condenser fan is not working the most likely problem is a faulty fan motor. In lots of cases you can start the engine and turn the a/c switch ON. When you do this both cooling fans should run (as long as the a/c system is working properly). You can then use a solid object and tap on the fan motor with moderate force several times. Most of the time this will get the fan temporarily working. If it does then fan motor needs to be replaced. If it doesn't you would then need to be sure that you had a good power source and good ground. I can help with determining any possible electrical issues if needed. Try the tapping method first.You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan is fine connected it directly to power no issues
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
So the fan does come one when the compressor turns on, but doesn't stay running? Both cooling fans should come on simultaneously when the compressor engages and they both should turn off when the compressor disengages. Are you saying that the fans turn off even though the compressor is still running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No so when I start my car cold and I push the a/c button and turn on the air, the compressor will kick on but the condenser fan doesn't kick on. The compressor also just stays on for a little not very long. When it is running it will blow cold when it's not it's not. Still no fan for the condenser won't kick on. At this point I went back and checked everything in my car since my car was not stock with ac I did find a plug that was not plugged in I found there is a little black box under the dash on the passenger side. Wen I plugged that in I noticed the fan would kick on and off with the car off. That's why I was wondering if the pressure switch can cause this issue? I asked this in my first question..
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
What about the radiator fan? Does it come on when the compressor engages? You didn't mention that so I have to know. As soon as you get back to me with that answer I will look over the wiring diagram and give you some information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when the car is at operating temp the rad fan does kick on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not when I press the ac button
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Just curious, did you replace the ECM along with all the a/c components?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main computer on the passenger side under the carpet?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
yes. did you replace that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not replaced that. So new update.
I start my car and run ac I hear compressor kick ok and it will blow out cold for a sec. Then turns off and blows warm. If I am driving it seems to stay cold and i don know when the fan turns on if it does while I'm driving but when I come to a complete stop and turn my car off the fan kicks on if I turn my key to the on position the fan stops. What causes the ac clutch not to stay on that long at an idle and why does the fan seem to only come on wen the car is off?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
If the idle is dropping low while at idle this will cause the a/c clutch to turn off. The PCM will turn off the clutch if the idle drops low because it is a fail safe. The PCM doesn't want the engine to stall due to low idle so it kills power to the clutch to prevent that from happening. Check the idle and adjust the idle screw if necessary. If low idle is the problem and adjusting the idle screw doesn't improve it, you may be able to remove the idle control valve and clean the wire screen that gets clogged. Air has to flow through that screen at idle so if it is clogged it will cause the idle to be low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check those things but wat about the fans?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little confuse about that issue because the ECU is what controls the fan operation when the a/c is on. I don't know if your original ECU has the fan control capabilities in it or if you would have to change ECU's. Let me look into that tonight. I will be away from my computer until about 8:30.