acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

I have an acura rl 2005 with 78k= mileage. the ac just stopped.

Customer Question

i have an acura rl 2005 with 78k= mileage. the ac just stopped. i thought it was freon which low as the problem. went to a shop and refilled. the same. now they are saying we need to changed the condenser. are there some diagnostic things to be done before it could be possitvely determined that it is the condenser? on the dealer the condenser is almost a grand. factor in the labor you could easily get burn faster than the hot air that comes from the ac.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 ways to check the condenser. first dye or a Freon leak detector can be used to find any Freon leaks in the coils, also a thermometer can be used to tell if it is plugged or restricted. do you know how or if the hop tested the condenser?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really sure. What i know is they checked the relays and its ok they said.
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
ok, does the inside fan run and do the radiator fans work? if so then it could be bad, you can get an aftermarket condenser for much cheaper than a factory Acura one there are many company's that make quality ones that will work fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All interior fans work and the the radiator fans as well. Is it possible that busted fuse can be the culprit too? In the peripheral view i noticed they kept interchanging the fuses in the relay system.
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
sure it is possible but the fans usually wont run when the fuse is bad. please remember I cant see or test the system. If you or the shop seem unsure of the problem I would suggest another opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How hard is changing the condenser by diy? Do you need a lifter for the car? Do you need some flushing works to do before or after replacing it?im not an experience, mechanic inclined guy. Just willing. Is it worth the risk?
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
to do it correctly you need a vacuum pump and a/c charging equipment. the volume of the freon is critical in this system. you wont need a lift but the front bumper and several brackets will need to be removed. I think this would be a better job for a shop with the proper equipment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the other opinion?
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
try to find another shop that specializes in a/c and electrical or have the local Acura dealer check it out. You don't have to have them fix it but it would be worthwhile to have them verify the problem.