acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

RDX: 2007 RDX, 163k miles. AC does not cool when ambient temp

Customer Question

2007 RDX, 163k miles. AC does not cool when ambient temp gets above 90 degrees. Is not related to engine operating temperature. Relays have been replaced. When above 90 degrees, clutch does not engage, condenser fan still runs. Below 90 degrees, AC works beautifully. Shop measured clutch clearance gap at .50 mm, did not check the coil resistance, then said the expansion valve was the culprit, replaced the valve, vacuum, refill, $379. After, I still have identical symptoms. 2nd trip to the shop they say the clutch is also bad (.50 mm was in spec last week, but this week .50 mm is out of spec?), shop says clutch and compressor must be replaced together(?) $1200 for compressor, clutch, dryer, full charge of Freon. Plus the $379 already spent on what probably was not the problem?
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shop tech also says using the removed expansion valve he can prove to me that the valve is bad. I'm sure he could 'prove' anything he wanted since I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. I'm just skeptical that there would be two failed components on a system that was not compromised or fouled. I guess that today's expansion valves are more complicated than a simple orifice that could only become clogged, or wear and erode so the opening becomes too large?
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.
I would try another shop. There is a known problem with the clutch coil and clutch on this model. There is no need to replace the whole compressor the clutch and coil can be replaced in the car without removing the compressor. Have a shop read Acura TSB 12-039 you are out of the warranty period but the repair is the same.