Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Acura Tl: I have a 96 acura tl 2.5 that runs like it

Customer Question

hello I have a 96 acura tl 2.5 that runs like it has lost power. the car runs fine and smooth but when u try to go the speedo moves very slow and the transmission runs shifts threw all the great before I reaches 30 mph. I has new sparkplugs, wires , rotor , distributor cap , throttle position sensor, idle air control valve . I don't know what I could be to be causing the car to be running the way it is
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.
..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.
.
.
If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have done both fuel pressure and flow is good and the as far as the exhaust i had unbolted the cat converter for the exhaust to see if that was it and even with it off still no change .and i too did a compression test and all of them were around 240 on compression i don't know what else it could be .
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. Does it set any trouble codes? Possibly a MAF sensor code? It is hard to actually check the MAF sensor without special equipment and a scope but sometimes if you unplug it there will be a noticeable difference in how it runs, it won't want to idle though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only trouble that I got was cylinder 1 misfire. I have tried to unplug the maf and it did not really make a difference in how the engine ran. I just don't know what else to do one minute the car was running fine and now I having to deal with this issue and just can figure it out
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is all that I could think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
.
*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********
.
.