sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Tl: my power steering stopped working after I had the pump

Customer Question

my power steering stopped working after I had the pump replaced in a 2001 acura tl/
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Possible causes would be the pump itself, the rack, a restricted line or the obvious possibility that the belt came off, which I'm assuming didn't happen.
If the system is full and clean then odds are the pump is the issue. It's possible that the rack could cause loss of assist and a pressure gauge can be used to determine if that's the case, but the pump is most likely still the issue.
Aftermarket power steering pumps are of horrible quality and are almost expected to fail, usually immediately. I've personally had four vehicles in recent memory that got four aftermarket pumps each before giving up, I've seen others in the shop with the same issues and I see it on this site on a regular basis. If your replacement pump was aftermarket it is almost surely the problem.