acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

I just bought a 2001 Acura MDX at auction (SCARY!!) and the

Customer Question

I just bought a 2001 Acura MDX at auction (SCARY!!) and the instrument panel isn't working. No speedometer, tach or gas gauge
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today. Are these things the only thing not working? start by checking fuse #13 in the passenger side fuse box under the glove box in the kick panel. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89860259/SHOT0880.jpg
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to tell by looking at the fuse if it is blown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NOTHING works on the display. I have no check engine light, now tach, no gas gauge, no odometer. I can't get the car to pass a smog check without these things, right? I at least need a working speedometer and odometer
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 years ago.
No it wont pass smog if the check engine light wont work. The best way to test the fuse is with a volt meter. looking isn't a god way to tell.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I start the engine, a little battery light goes on and then off, and a little key lights up on the right hand of the display. Both lights go off in a second
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can take the fuse into a parts store and have them check it, right? I've replaced fuses on my old Volkswagen Jetta before
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
t seems like somebody serviced it and then didn't reconnect the dashboard. Is there a connection I can check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of the warning lights that usually come on then go off when you start your car are on either.
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 years ago.
There is but you need to remove the dash cluster to get to it that is much harder than checking the fuse. You might need to get some help ,Here is the procedure . the connectors are at point C in the diagram.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89860259/dash.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89860259/guage.pdf