thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

ACURA RDX: 2007 Acura RDX. 119,000 miles. I recently purchased

Customer Question

2007 Acura RDX. 119,000 miles. I recently purchased this vehicle from a dealership (no warranty). After about 2 weeks and less that 100 miles my "Check Emission" light registered and my "Check SH-AWD" light came on afterwards as well while driving. This happened once so I parked the car, let it sit for a few days then there were no issues for about a week. The lights popped back up while driving a week later, and the temperature gauge also showed the car running very hot. I got the car to a mechanic ASAP and was informed that I blew a head gasket. I have them replace the cylinder head, oil change (didn't need one but still got it), oxygen sensor, some spark plugs, thermostat gasket and thermostat, the radiator, and the a/f ratio sensor. I pick my car up earlier this week, and the "Check Emission" light and "Check SH-AWD" light come back on after a couple of miles. I drove around the city for a couple days and kept my eye on the temperature gauge and it was normal until today. It started to creep back up towards hot and luckily I was pulling into my parking area and was able to immediately shut the car off. What could possibly be causing this? Is the shop still responsible for the fix? After handing the shop $2,600 on the car for the last mentioned repair, I definitely will take it back to them my hesitation is that it took 3 whole weeks for the last "repair" they did and I do not want to give them the vehicle back ecspecially for that amount of time and end up with the same result. Thanks for your time.
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with the vehicle thus far. I would really like for you to have the vehicle computer scanned so you can find out what code(s) are stored in relation to the check engine light. The SH-AWD light is more than likely a by-product of the check engine light so I'm only interested in knowing what codes are related to that system. Places like Advance Auto and Autozone will scan the computer for free and let you know the codes. Once you have that information please let me know and we can continue. That information will be very helpful for me in determining what the issue(s) may be. Thanks