FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

I have a 2007 acura tl. When cold brakes are soft.At first

Customer Question

I have a 2007 acura tl. When cold brakes are soft.At first brake they get hard, and stay hard till car is warm then and only then will they work perfect.t.Then next day same thing everyday all the time. Calipers have been lubed and check as well as replaced master cylinder for had a leak where it meets the booster.Brakes have been flushed and bleed.I also notice it idles art 1 rpms so I cleaned throttle body and still the same .Engine shows no codes. LOST CAN YOU HELP.Only codes are abs and vsa
Category: Acura
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. When you say the brakes are soft do you mean that the pedal feels normal? When it gets hard is the pedal very hard like the booster is not working at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct.The pedal feels normal when engines cold on it's first braking after that first initial brake it becomes hard until warm as if the booster is not working .And does it everyday the same routine . Alsoidle does not go below 1rpm but has no engine code
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a booster problem as this will cause the idle issue also. If it was leaking brake fluid from the back of the master cylinder then this can get into the booster and damage the seals and cause this. Start by making sure that the booster hose to the engine is fine and that the one way check valve is fine by seeing if you can only suck through one end and not the other. I think that you need a booster though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told this acura does not have a check valve is this true . Also would it cause abs light. Could booster be cleaned if contaminate or is it no good.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
No, the booster cannot be cleaned once this occurs and it would not cause an ABS light. There should be a check valve inline with the vacuum hose unless it is the newer style without one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well do you know what style that year came with it only has 35000 miles.its an 07. Just would like to know before I replace for I replaced many parts not thinking that would be the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If it had one it would be located in the line as shown in the attached diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine looks like a complete hose is it inside the hose. It looks like that picture attached. Really need to know before spend more cash on it.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
And that is not a plastic piece in the middle of the hose? Is the hose completely rubber from end to end? If not then there is a valve. You can remove the complete hose and on the engine side see if you can suck air through it and make sure you cannot blow through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do In morning and close you out if not will need to upgrade to talk to you need to get solved car was at dealer and they replaced master cylinder and nothing but said maybe calipers getting stuck and so on and so on I said for trouble shooting I'll do my self then pay more than 500 that they charged to change master cylinder. That tech never said a thing about contamination to booster but yet they don't have a good reputation in El Paso TX
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Believe me, the booster works on engine vacuum and if it fails it causes a vacuum leak which affects engine idle. Everything points to that. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booster changed still same thing and could not find in line check valve do u have a part number for check valve or pic of check valve for that particular what else should I look for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sure that year has check valve
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Did you remove the vacuum line and test it as I mentioned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed vacuum line completely it a hollow line no in line check valve and dealer not showing check valve for that car it is in the booster so they say.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
You said you had ABS and VSA codes. What are the codes you are getting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Abs and vsa both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Abs is speed sensor code and vsa is for alignment I believe but dealer showed no malfunction code would abs pump cause that symptom that I mentioned or ground or egr or ignition switch or idle control
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that there is an internal issue with the ABS unit that will cause it. These other issues should not. Do you happen to have a vacuum gauge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do have vacuum gauge.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what the engine vacuum reading is at idle and holding at 2000 rpm?