Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

MDX: I have a 2003 Acura mdx with a whining sound coming

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 Acura mdx with a whining sound coming from the belt side of the engine. The sound is matched to the engine RPM and gets louder as RPM rises.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the long waitdid this problem start out of the blue one day ?will the noise be any better or worse with the AC turned on ?if you remove the drive belt off the engine will the noise be gone ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's any time. Ac on or off. When I remove the belt the engine sounds perfect. And sound is gone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I can remember it was out of the blue. But I do usually drive with the windows up and radio on.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
thank you for that informationwith the belt off and spinning the alternator by hand and the tensioner pulley by hand do they feel like they have gravel in them or bind or make any noise by hand ?if so which ever pulley does is the bad pulley or accessory on the one making noise by handmost of these end up being the alternator or the tensioner pulley bearings badin a nut shell with the noise gone with the belt off it is one of the accessory pulleys causing this noise and its a matter of finding which one and replace it to correct this issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that none of them seem bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think it takes a higher RPM to get it to be noticeable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just don't want to replace stuff if not needed like the pwr steering pomp I replaced already
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
run it with the belt on it and with a stethoscope or long screwdriver listening when its making the noise see which accessory is making the noiseonce you pin point the one then it needs to be changed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I actually tried that already too.any other trouble shooting ideas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I might just have to start replacing them in order of price
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
that's the only way to narrow down which accessory is making the noise using a stethoscope revving up the engine to pin point which is making the noisethat is what we use to diagnose these type of noises
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thx
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
anytimei don't want you to guess either and put in parts you do not need too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Might be crazy but I might try to use a drill with an old pulley and some string to try to spin them fast and see if I can replicate the sound
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
might not duplicate the noise as what ever is making noise needs the tension from the belt to make the noise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah probably
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
its either the stethoscope or start replacing accessory's
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try to scope it again. I'll have someone rev the heck out of it to get it screaming
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok