George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

MDX: We think a mouse got into the A/C duct work and then died

We think a mouse got into the A/C duct work and then died (great smell!). Is there a way for me to get some access to try to remove it?

Steve

Hello I will help you with your question,

The usual place the mouse will nest is the fresh air intake, cabin air filter and the blower motor. Removing the cabin air filter and blower motor normally allows you to clean out the mouse and nest debris with a shop vac (wear a paper mask) and then you can spray the area with Lysol. That is about as much as you can do on your own. If the mouse went in the air outlets then it could be in a position where the dash board would have to come out to get to the ducting attached to the back of the dash.

The blower motor is removed from under the right side of the dash after unplugging it and removing the three screws around the motor. The cabin filter is to the left of the blower motor and the glove box is removed to access it.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help George. I could not get in a position to remove the blower motor and feel comfortable that I could re-install it. I was able to remove the cabin filter and did vacuum out some debris -- didn't find a body or bones, though. Now it's raining, so I'm done. Thanks again,

Steve

The blower is very tight, if you found debris that can have a powerful smell. I would have the blower pulled it is usually where the main nest is. Try to get some Lysol up in the intake ducts it will help. A shop can use a foaming cleaner on the AC evaporator and that will help. It has a long hose to get back to the surface of the evaporator and that is usually as far as the mice can get as it is sealed in the heater box.

Thank you