Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Legend: I have a 1995 Acura Legend with 226,000 miles. It

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Acura Legend with 226,000 miles. It was burning a lot of oil. Last month, I replace the head gaskets and valve seals. Turns out that the valve seals were leaking a lot. Now the car is not burning oil. The problem that I am having is that it drips a lot of oil on the driveway. After aXXXXX it will drip about 1/8 cup of oil. I've added BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer and that has slowed down the dripping, but it still drips about 1/16 cup. I want to sell the car in good, but do not what to spend a lot more money on repair. My question, is the leak coming from the rear seal, or could it be coming from a pan gasket or someplace else?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,

Have you looked underneath to see if it is dripping from the rear of the engine at the transmission/engine mounting area, the center of the engine or front of the engine?

If not, you need to do this. No one online can see the area it is dripping from to tell you with 100% accuracy where the leak is coming from, and without us knowing the general area, it is even harder to know.

I can tell you that with a steady leak that you are describing, it will be from either the rear main seal, oil pressure sensor, or front seal. Putting it up on ramps or jackstands and observing the leak to see where it is originating from is the best method to find the leak, especially if you clean the underside off first.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The leak is definitely coming from the rear center of the engine. I've been thinking that it is coming from the rear main seal. I want to confirm this. I'm hoping that it could be coming from some source, that is easier and less expensive to fix. What do you think?

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

From the rear of the engine, it is defintely the rear main seal. You can confirm this by cleaning the area and installing some engine oil dye and let it run for a bit and then trace the dye to the source. you will find it coming at the rear where the transmission mates to the engine.

Many times a rear main seal leak is due to excessive crankcase pressure, due to clogged pcv valve and hose. Check those and replace if gunked with oil and then see if the leak is still happening. If it is then the only repair that will stop the leak is to replace the rear main seal.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

My Legend has a clutch and 6 speed manual transmission. With a rear seal leak, would the clutch get saturated with oil and begin to slip? The clutch is performing fine at the moment. Approximately, what is the shop cost of replacing the rear main seal?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Finally, is there are oil additive that you would recommend to slow the oil leak?

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

Not necessarily. It depends upon whether it is leaking at top, sides, or bottom of seal as to whether it contaminates the clutch, plus you have the flywheel between the seal and reverse side of flywheel with clutch disc, so there is a barrier there.

Labor time is 5.8 hours, so about $500 to $580 in labor and then about $80 in parts, so $580 to $660 total.

The best sealer is Bar's leak rear main seal stopleak.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I degreased the bottom of the engine, and did additional diagnostic work. I found that the lead is coming from the rear-left corner of the oil pan, not the rear seal. What are my options now? I cant seem to get a socket on the rear oil pan bolts to tighten them up.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,

The oil pan gasket is a bigger pain to do than the rear main seal. It is 6.6 hours. I would try using some Bars stop leak and see if helps, also try Castrol 10w40 Hi-mileage oil and see if that slows and or stops the leak

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here