Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr expeience, 13 ase mastertech
54429526

MDX: I have an 2005 Acura MDX with about 80k miles. After not

I have an 2005 Acura MDX with about 80k miles. After not using it for about a month the battery died. I jumped it and bought a new battery for it. Since the time that I jumped it, it is very hard to move the gear shift. I can shift it into drive but cannot move it to any lower gears at all. And when I do shift it into gear sometimes I need to wiggle it to get it to stay there. I took it to a mechanic, he basically just muscled it and loosened it a bit, but now it is very stiff again. Not sure what it could be or if it's related to the battery. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim :

hi this is jim and welcome to just answer, i'm here to help resolve your problem, what is happening is the shiftcable has a pivot where it attaches to the transmission the is seizing up, it will have to be taken apart and lubed and it should be fine, not an uncommon issue, is this making sense

Customer:

Yes, it makes sense. Should I bring it to an Acura dealer or will any mechanic be able to handle this?

Jim :

anybody can repair it, it is not very difficult, is shouldn't take more than 1 hour to repair it

Customer:

Ok Thanks for your help. I'll try it.

Jim :

i'm glad i was able to help you today, ant questions in the future just request jimhondatech and i will take care of you, thanks

Customer:

Ok Thanks, bye.