acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

MDX: I have a much beloved 2009 MDX. It was recently in for

I have a much beloved 2009 MDX. It was recently in for service regarding a transmission issue and when I got it back, the stereo controls on the steering wheel no longer work. It doesn't seem like these two things could be related, but the timing is funny....any thoughts?

Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today.

Did they remove the transmission?

Do the controls on the other side of the wheel work?

Are there any warning lights on in the dash?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did not remove the transmission. My understanding is that there was a leak in a fluid line. They had to remove some of the undercarriage to replace the line.

There were no warning lights on the dash. Manually, the stereo system works fine.

I will go out and check the other controls on the steering wheel. Hadn't had a need for them.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, the only switches on the right side of the steering wheel are for the cruise control & I can't tell if they are working until I drive at a speed at which I can engage them. I will attempt that the next chance I get. In additional to the stereo switches n the left side of the wheel, there are the Voice Control buttons and they do not seem to be functioning, either.

ok, let me know about the other buttons. But if they disconnected the steering shaft to lower the sub frame to get to the lines they could have removed the steering wheel to re-index it after they put it back together.There is a plug that must be removed to do this and it is easy to miss so it is possible that it was left unplugged. If this is the case none of the buttons on the wheel would work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cruise control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel DO work correctly. So it's only the buttons on the left side that are no longer functioning. Thoughts now?

Then it must be a bad switch on the left side of the wheel or possibly a bad cable reel. The air bag will need to be removed and the switch checked to be sure. It must be coincidence but I have not seen any bad switches in these .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, crud. That sounds expensive and much more difficult than adjusting the stereo by hand. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Your welcome. Come again.