Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr expeience, 13 ase mastertech
54429526

TL: Eric, Thanks for taking the time. My 2001 Acura TL is dropping

Eric, Thanks for taking the time. My 2001 Acura TL is dropping out of gear every twenty minutes when my foot is off the gas and making a grinding noise. Then it only goes about 25 mph. I then stop the car, turn off the ignition and start it up again and it works fine until the next twenty minutes. There is a slight rattling sound in the Transmission starter area. No Check engine light. No codes.

Jim :

hi this is jim, welcome to just answer, i'm here to help resolve your problem, it sounds like the internal filter inside the transmission is plugging up, when this happens the line pressure in the trans goes way too low and the trans cannot hold the clutches engaged, by shutting it off the fluid drains from the filter then you start it again and the filter slowly plugs again, is this making sense so far

Customer:

Yes. Would it also making a loud grinding noise.

Jim :

oh yes it sure will, the trans is wearing out and small metal particles are floating in the fluid, one thing to try first is to have the trans completely flushed, we have a machine at work that transfers all the fluid and dirt out then installs fresh new fluid,

Customer:

Ok. So do a trans flush?

Customer:

What about the filter?

Jim :

yes, i would start there, it may work it may not, i have had good luck with the flushes, the worst case is the trans is worn out, the filter will get flushed using the machine, the bad part is the filter is not servicable without take the trans apart

Customer:

It was rebuilt last March. In your opinion how much would this cost? I have a warranty for the Trans.

Jim :

we charge 170.00 at my shop for the flush

Customer:

That's about right. Sweet Thank you Jim.

Jim :

i'm glad i could help you today any questions in the future just request me and i will take care of you, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX forget to rate my service, thanks

Customer:

will do