acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

TL: P0131 code with TCS light on

Here is the nickel tour. My son was the daily driver for 2 years but has left on mission to Spain for 2 years and can only communicate once a week, email only. His car has sat for about 3 months and the already dead battery is now dead dead. Finally decided to get the car sold and upon jumping the car the alarm goes off and keeps going off. He dropped the remote and accidently crushed it about a week before he left so I cant just hit the alarm button. First question how to turn the dang thing off. Next, now that it is running it has the check engine light and the tcs light on. Again, since he is gone not sure if they were on before or not, but doubt is since he was pretty good about letting me know if new lights came on. The engine code is P0131 (o2 low voltage sensor bank 1), does that have anything to do with dead as door nail battery?? Also, why would TCS go on with the code?? Just to see I cleared the code and both engine and TCS go out, but of course come back on. Guessing the o2 sensor is bad and needs to replace, but not sure since it mentions low voltage and I know battery is not coming back to life. What do I do for TCS, again only code is P0131 and not sure how they are related. One last thing noticed the SRS light is on, will likely just do the paper clip trick but any other suggestions are appreciated.

Category: Acura
Expert:  coreyd87 replied 6 months ago.
hi this is corey thanks for choosing just answer

as far as the alarm going off try having the key in the on position before you connect the jumper cables. it may bypass the alarm

as far as the o2 sensor it is most likely the sensor itself.
if you decide to replace the o2 sensor it is the upstream (before the cat)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The big question is the TCS. One call to Acura and if the TCS switch doesn't go off with a press of the button it is a 5K transmission. Problem is not sure that makes sense since it is not throwing any transmission codes. I have a guy ready to buy but he is scared to death of the TCS since Acura said it was a transmission problem without even asking about the code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Answer was incomplete. Needed to know if there was a correlation of the PO131 and TCS or not since P0131 appears to have nothing to do with the tranny but when I clear the P0131 they both go off and when the P0131 comes back on so does the TCS. Also, are those problems related to the dead battery or no since they weren't there before the battery died and the car sat for a couple of months.
Expert:  acramstr replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today. The TCS light comes on with the check engine light almost all the time on these. From what you are describing it sounds like you need to replace the battery and the primary 02 sensor (closest to the engine) be sure to use a Acura sensor or you might have the same code come back seems like the aftermarket sensors almost never work. As far as the alarm goes. Try putting a fully charged battery in the car and then if the alarm goes off again lock and unlock the driver door with the key. If that does not reset it ,Then disconnect the battery and turn the key "on" and reconnect the battery with the key "on" sometimes this will reset them. As far as the SRS light it could need the OPDS System reset due to the low battery. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1