Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I have an 04 acura mdx w/130,000. Im the original owner.

I have an '04 acura mdx w/130,000. I'm the original owner. For the past 3 years, 2 different dealers have told me that the power steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced. I have had no problems with the power steering so I am wondering if I really do have to fork over $1,600 to fix the leak? I plan to keep the car for years to come...I hope

Are you having to add power steering fluid?

do you see any fluid drips underneath it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Never added fluid. No leaks in my driveway. I can't imagine id miss it. Would it leave residue like as oil based product?

It would look like transmission fluid - reddish puddle

Likely the bellows on the rack and pinion have some fluid on them that is seen when the vehicle is in the air. This would be from internal seal seepage.

As long as the fluid is kept up to full level and no catching or jerking when turning, you are fine and no need to replace the rack and pinion unit.

Eventually it will go past seepage and start leaking enough to warrant replacement, but that could be as much as 3yrs down the road. at that point it would need to be replaced