acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

acura tl: over the last couple of years i have used this service

over the last couple of years i have used this service for family cars- one of which is a 99 acura tl --ihave asked a number of questions o heres a new one! i ve big problems with transmission keeps dropping out of gear told i need rebuilt one like jasper-I have a friend whos aretired mechanic like to know if its worthwhile getting a salvage one or rebuilt and is it difficult to do job at home
Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today. These cars have lots of transmission problems so I don't think I would install a used one. A Quality Rebuilt is your best option. As far as doing it at home it might be hard because the front sub frame must be removed to get the trans out. That would be pretty hard without a hoist but it could be done ( I wouldn't want to do it). If you replace the trans be sure to replace the rear main seal and flush the radiator cooler at the same time. These cars are pretty reliable other than the transmission we still repair quite a few of these because of this. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a local tranmission &engine replacemnt center tells me they can rebuild the trans dont have to get new like a jasper who else makes tot rebuilt?so would you go for center ebuilding trans or getting new one(jasper)?

It all comes down to warranty and experience. These can be rebuilt but they are a little tricky so if they have experience with this trans and have a good reputation they should be ok. There are other company's that sell these as rebuilt as well as jasper. One is H&A transmission,XXXXX Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
(909)(NNN) NNN-NNNN and another is Howard's http://www.hecreman.com/about.html

Both these company's specialize in these and do a good job.