Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Acura Mechanic
Experience:  Aftermarket & Factory Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

My brake lights are stuck inon position

Wow! This is wonderful! Thanks! My brake lights are stuck in on position , now battery dead, bulbs super hot so, I took out(worried about starting fire). Any way it is now night, and the spoiler light is still on (some juice still there), iwill it be ok overnight ,until able to address in morning (light) and did I do the right /best thing for now? 2000 Acura TL. Thank you, again! Sean (female w/ little mechanical experience)

Add on:  Should I disconnect battery tonight?  Is it safe to drive someplace (autoshop to get part/ mechanic) in this condition (after jumping battery) or should I not try to start (before replacing brake switch?  Should I even attempt to repair myself or just have mechanic diagnos and repair?  Don't have money to burn.  Been recently hit w/ many large vet bills (sick cat).  Thank you!

Greetings...... "Hi, I'm Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!"

This is likely the Brake Light Switch (also called the Brake Pedal Position Switch)
Remove lower Dash Panel, under Steering Column & locate the Switch above the Brake Pedal.
For now, you should be able to remove Fuse 47 located under the Hood & this should turn off Brake Lights

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me when you are done.

did you need further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just now saw/found in manual: in Interior Fuse Box Driver's Side #9"Back -Up Lights" posted "brake lights"..??
so is it "brake lights or "back up lights" that is staying on
IF it is "brake lights" it is Fuse 47 under hood

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don "Mo Lurch", I finally got it (I think I did the right thing)... My car doesn't have a #47 under hood. I ,first t

removed inside driver's side fuse box, ##9 "Back-up lights" and the spoiler brake light remained on... so I, then removed the "Stop" fuse #% under the hood and it worked. Remembr, I unscrewd the light bulbs (brake lights left/right brfore.... So thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I just buy a new switch and try it? Thanks again! Please let me know if it is safe to jump battery and drive to the parts store, don't worry I won't hold you responsible if Isomething bad happens... just want to know if that is what you would do?

Jumper will be fine..........hope you don't get stopped for no Brake Lights
Best to check Switch with Volt Meter to be sure, but there isn't much else that would make the Brake Lights stay on other than the Brake Light Failure Sensor, but I have not seen that before