Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

Acura Integra: I have a an Acura INtegra 1997, today it did

I have a an Acura INtegra 1997, today it did not crank the first time, and after sometime it started, and also while I pulled over there was some steam coming out of the coolant reservoir. ANd the the engine temperature was on the high side.

Thanking You

Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket and you’ll likely need to take it in to get it repaired or at least do the test yourself.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Part Number:

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working as well as the pressure cap holding pressure.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.