HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

TL: I have a 2000 tl acura with 168,000 miles. SRS light stays

I have a 2000 tl acura with 168,000 miles. SRS light stays on, am told i need to replace SRS module. Have not tried resetting it, but that sounds risky on an airbag issue. Getting conflicting info; dealer can't or won't answer questions. Car not in accident, air bags not deployed, seats has not been taken out or replaced (weight sensor should not have changed), battery voltage is ok (alternator has not been replaced). Airbag light has always come on intermittently (so do my windshield wipers...Ha!), with something leaning against inside of left door (not driver's side). In attempting get SRS light to go off a mechanic replaced the driver's air bag but light stayed on, put old airbag back in. SRS Light remains on. DTC is 5-3. If I buy a SRS OEM module and replace myself, what are the next steps. I am told I still need to take it to a dealer to get the OPDS system calibrated to the ECU? I'm willing to pay money for something as important as my safety, yet i feel uncomfortable with the answers I'm getting. I don't want to throw good money into a never ending hole, and that's the feeling I'm getting. If a dealer needs to put calibrate it or if you suggest the dealer does it all, can you give me an idea what this should reasonably cost so i am not taken advantage of. thanks.
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com, are you sure it is a 5-3 code and not a 15-3?

Customer:

Its a 5-3 code, but a good question to ask.

Customer:

5-03 code, not 5-3

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i asked because there is no specific 5-3 or 5-03 code for the srs system. is the code related to the opds unit or system?

Customer:

The mechanic and the service manager said it was the code they pulled from the car when checking to find why the srs light was staying on. I was told the 5-03 code meant I needed a new SRS module, as it was bad. Yesterday I asked if there was any code on the OPDS unit and they said no, but the answer seems like it should have been "yes", as I have been having trouble with the airbag light coming on intermittently. The light would go off when i make sure the items in my passenger seat do not touch the door. From your question, I am thinking maybe i need more clarification if the code is related to the opds unit or the srs system. this conversation is good. I didn't get conversation from them despite repeated calls, and questions.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes it would be great if you could get some clarification on whether the opds system was involved. The repair if it is just the srs module is straight forward and the dealer will have to initialize the new module for you. the opds unit is a little more involved and would require more parts. the dealer would again have to initialize the new parts.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

please ask as many questions as you want before rating my answer. thanks

Customer:

Picked up my Acura, and asked questions. They seemed to play dumb. Said they hooked it up to the Pegasus machine and got a 5-03 code. Went out to the car, the panel was still off where they had hooked it up. Turned on the car and the SRS light was gone. I don't believe the SRS system would have reset, if there was a malfunctioning SRS module, so I don't think there was a code in the first place. Yet I don't know. Now i have to figure how to proceed, as I'm kinda nervous about the OPDS with the passenger side acting up. Plus I think there was a recall on the OPDS which i didn't qualify for. But maybe the OPDS just did what it is suppose to do, a light object was in the set and it notified the system there was something there that was under a specified weight and told the restraint system not to deploy as it might be a child that would get hurt by deployment. Do this all sound ok to you.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Yes it does sound suspicious. You are correct that if there is a problem with the srs module that it will not let the light reset. But there could be factors as why the light was even on to begin with. A low battery voltage could set a code for the module because the module doesn't see the minimum required voltage in which to deploy the airbags. In this instance the light can be reset and the light would not come back on. The opds unit is suppossed to sense when item on the passenger seat are below the weight specified. For example a small child, etc. Then it will illuminate the light and shut off the passenger airbag so it does not deploy. other factors for the light maybe coming on intermittently are excess moisture or humidity which can cause false readings

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i hope i was able to answer your concerns.

Customer:

I did know to check the voltage. Did that first thing. thanks so much for your help

Customer:

This saved me a lot of work or the $600 they would have charged for me to do it.

HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience: OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE