HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

I have a question about my 2005 Acura RL with 80k. The transmission

I have a question about my 2005 Acura RL with 80k. The transmission is working properly but I am feeling a double engagement in the transmission when I place it into drive. All works normal but it kinda of double thumps into gear when place into drive. Any suggestions? Thanks

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com, first you need to check the fluid level and condition. if those are ok then my next suggestion is to have all the mounts checked. chances are you have a weak or broken mount causing your issue

Customer:

Hi, thanks for your response. We have actually just drain & filled the fluid. The old fluid was kinda clean and full. We also had two motor mounts broken that were replaced as well. The issue does not seem to be in that direction you are suggesting. We actually though the same as you. The issue is very prescient when placing into drive. Its like a double clunk into gear. I have looked online and some people say its maybe the solenoid starting to go out.. I just wanted someone of your expertise to help think of ideas.

Customer:

To better explain when you place the vehicle into drive it engages like normal then all of a sudden it feels as if it is engaging again. All of this happens right away. very weird.

usually if there is a problem with the solenoids a check engine will usually come on. has the check engine light or the any transmission lights ever come on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that helps me as well. No check engine light or tranny light is on. I'm starting to think it may be a differantial issue.

It may be a differential issue. I have seen a few where the differential carrier bearings develop side to side freeplay that could cause the symptom you are describing.

the easy way to check the bearings is to just pull side to side and up and down on the axle shafts where they go into the transmission. if there is excessive movement up and down or side to side then suspec the differential as being the cause.

Hello Dan,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
Juan S.