FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

TL: 2008 Acura TL. When AC goes on gives a rattle. When I turn

2008 Acura TL. When AC goes on gives a rattle. When I turn off AC then rattle goes away (or is less). From what I hear it may be an AC FAN Relay issue but, if so, why would it go away when you turn off AC?
Hello, my name isXXXXX appreciate you taking the time to ask a question about your car. Can I get your first name. Also, can you tell me if the rattling is continuous when the a/c is on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Name isXXXXX rattling is continuous when the AC is on.

Thank you Ron. If the rattling is continuous when the A/C is on then chances are that the compressor itself is failing or the front clutch is failing. This is not going to be a fan problem as the fan comes on when the engine gets hot. Typically the clutch is not a recommended replacement part and the compressor needs to be replaced. Do you plan on fixing this yourself? One other thing to check first is to make sure that the belt is tight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the difficulty level (and probable cost) of fixing this issue? If its simple I (and a friend) may be able to take care of it. If not, I will need to find someone to take care of it (preferably not a dealership).

With some mechanical experience it is not hard to change the compressor, but the problem is being able to legally evacuate the refrigerant system and recharge it. That will take special tools. If you have someone do this for you the parts will cost about $500-600. If you pay a shop expect about $1200-1500.