Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

TL: 2006 Acura TL.... Last night while idling my check engine

2006 Acura TL.... Last night while idling my check engine light, battery light and SRS light all came on at the same time. I also noticed that when trying to accelerate the transmission wasn't engaging fully. There seems to be a whining noise coming from engine compartment, maybe alternator? I was able to nurse the car home. When I started it this morning the check engine light is still on. What could be causing these symptoms. I plan on going the auto parts store and having codes read.
HI,

Ok, possible causes would be alternator undercharging which causes low voltage condition in various control modules and can set their warning lights, weak battery causing same conditions, or possibily the ELD(electrical load detector) in the engine compartment fuse box.

In addition to having the computer scanned, you need to have the parts store do a load test on both battery and alternator to see if either of them are failing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Eric,

I will do both shortly and let you know the outcome.

Chris

Ok, sounds good. i am here all day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric,

I just had car checked at auto parts store. They checked battery and charging system. Battery was a little low on charge and alternator tested normal. 13.92v no load, 13.77v loaded. The computer is showing code "Replace air fuel ratio sensor Bank 1". What do you think?

Chris

That would explain the check engine light, but not the other lights coming on last night or the whinning noise.

Was it raining last night, or did you go thru any puddles? If so, it is possible that the belt is a bit loose and slipped some from being wet, which would explain the other symptoms from last night.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric,

Nope, no rain or puddles last night. I'm going to put my charger on the battery and get it back to full charge. I kinda wish it was the alternator, that would be an easy fix. Not really sure where to go from here. Might have to just bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

Ok, while you are doing that check the belt for being loose. If you press in the center of the belt between 2 pulleys, you should not be able to push it in more than 1/2". if more than that, belt needs to be tightened.

If ok, charge the battery and if the symptoms return, have the vehicle tested at a shop. If not, then the low charge on the battery was the issue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do. Thanks for help, i'll let you know outcome.

you are welcome. I will be here tomorrow in case you have further questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Eric,

I checked the belt tension as you suggested. The tension was good and the belt was recently replaced during the 105k mile service. I went to charge the battery and discovered that the positive cable was a little loose. I removed both cables and cleaned, charged battery on deep cycle (it was reading 71% before charge), then reinstalled and tightened clamps. The trouble code is cleared now and the car started and seems to be running fine. I will watch it closely and take it into a shop if the problem persist.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Chris

A loose cable will definitely cause voltage problems and the symptoms you experienced. That should take care of it.

Have a great week!

please remember to rate service. thanks