acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

TL 3.2: During a routine 85,000 dealer service my 1999 Acura

During a routine 85,000 dealer service my 1999 Acura TL 3.2 was diagnosed with an oil leak. We were advised by the technician it was coming from a seal around the oil pump (oil was blowing back under the vehicle) and were advised (due to the age of the vehicle) to have the seal, pump and alike replaced ($1,400 - placement parts and lots of labor).

Due to finances, we had to put off the repair. We were advised to have it done before Fall/Winter (we live in VA). We've monitored our garage floor and oil level - no residue and the oil levels are good even after 3-months. It's time for an oil change and lower temps are approaching. Do you have any advice for us?
HiCustomer welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today. This leak is common on older TL's and yes it is an expensive repair. However if it is lot leaking bad enough to leave spots on the floor or getting low on oil. There is no big hurry to replace the seals. I would keep an eye on it and if it does not start leaking worse have it done when the next timing belt replacement is due . The timing belt must be removed to do this repair so do them at the same time if possible. Many of these cars have a small oil leak from this area and go quite a while before they get bad enough to cause problems.