MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience.
10834442

My 98 Acura CL 3.0 started and when I backed up it died and

My 98 Acura CL 3.0 started and when I backed up it died and now it cranks but won't start at all?
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

when you put the fuel filter in did it have fuel pressure or just fuel in the filter.

MASTER TECH :

the reason I ask is this sounds like one of 2 things.

MASTER TECH :

either the pgm-fi fuel relay has failed or the timing belt might have broke.

MASTER TECH :

to tell if you have fuel pressure loosen the fuel line on the filter and turn the key on see if the fuel squirts out with a lot of pressure or just flows out.

Customer:

Thanks. I have pressure from the fuel pump. I can hear it run and it does squirt fuel out when the top fitting is loosened. The serpentine belt seems okay tool.

MASTER TECH : Ok please remove the oil filler cap. Have some crank it over and see if you see any movement at all.
Customer:

OK, you mean oil coming out?

MASTER TECH : No
MASTER TECH : See if you see anything moving inside the valve cover.
MASTER TECH : Sounds like the Timing belt has broken or jumped time.
Customer:

ok

MASTER TECH : Use a flash light to look in their. Have someone crank the engine over while your looking inside
Customer:

I can't see anything moving?

MASTER TECH :

ok you could see the mechanical parts inside correct

Customer:

Yes, not much thru the hole but I could see some.

MASTER TECH :

ok sounds like the timing belt has broke

MASTER TECH :

this will need to be taken apart to inspect futher.

Customer:

is that the same as the main serp belt?

MASTER TECH :

no

Customer:

ok, is this something I can replace?

MASTER TECH :

the serptein belt is the drive belts that run the power steering and alternator

Customer:

I have a Chilton manual for the car

MASTER TECH :

well the problem is the engine might have some mechanical damage,

Customer:

ok, but how can i tell?

MASTER TECH :

normally on these motors they are full interferience motors and the valves will hit the pistions and bend

Customer:

ouch! that doesn't sound good.

MASTER TECH :

no its not

Customer:

it didn't make any noise when it stopped running, just stopped like shutting of the key.

MASTER TECH :

but personally I would Not crank it any more and take it apart and line it all back up on the cams and crank and install a new belt. by the grace of the car gods you might get lucky and be ok

MASTER TECH :

thats what they do.

MASTER TECH :

the silent killer we call it

MASTER TECH :

zero warning

Customer:

Wow. i have been cranking it a lot trying to get it started. I guess I better get a mechanic to look at it. I live in the country and there is a mobile mike that i can get out.

MASTER TECH :

ok this might be best

Customer:

ok, thanks. I guess that is all for now.

MASTER TECH :

it's a involved task and if the cylinder heads need to come off then it's a very large job

Customer:

ok, that is more than i can do. you don't think it is a relay or anything? I have seen a lot of problems online with relays.

MASTER TECH :

I do ask that you please rate my service and I strive for all positive marks as I do my best to provide you with the solutions and information

MASTER TECH :

no

MASTER TECH :

if the relay was bad you would have no fuel pressure.

Customer:

ok thanks

MASTER TECH :

you have indicated to me their is fuel pressure correct

Customer:

yes.

MASTER TECH :

ok

MASTER TECH :

this is mechanical now

Customer:

I will give you a good rating. thanks

MASTER TECH :

if you did a compression test this will also confirm

MASTER TECH :

thank you very much.

Customer:

OK

MASTER TECH :

will their be anything else I can help you with on this matter

Customer:

No, that is all thanks. I will give an exc rating.

MASTER TECH :

thank you. I will be leaving the chat now. have a nice remainder of the day .

MASTER TECH :

Dino

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience.