Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

I have a 1993 Acura Legend. It has over 200,000 miles on it.

I have a 1993 Acura Legend. It has over 200,000 miles on it. Recently, it began having some white smoke/steam from the exhaust and I noticed the oil was discolored. There are air bubbles coming from the radiator when the car is idling (with the radiator cap off). No visible coolant leak. My mechanic advises me that there is a leak in the head gasket. I put some Bar Leaks additive in the radiator, and the steam is gone. Car now idles smoothly. I read where Subaru had a head gasket conditioner that they used when some Forester models developed head gasket leaks, apparently with some success. Another product is DuraSeal (available online). Would one of these products help? Could they damage the cooling system?

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

It sounds like an obvious head gasket. One of the best, (if not the best) products on the market for sealing it, (which will not damage the cooling system) is "Blue Devil" and it's made for that purpose.

.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks