MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

TL: Also, I have a 3.2 TL 2000 and Im having a problem with

Also, I have a 3.2 TL 2000 and I'm having a problem with the steering. It is hard to the turn the wheel for any turn. I am not sure if I should take it to a dealer or a local street mechanic. Do the car need to be on a lift? And will a rebuilt power steering pump be sufficient? How much should this job cost?

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

if you look at the power steering container does it look empty or below the max park ?

MASTER TECH :

does the power steering pump look oily ?

Customer:

I'm not near the car. But, I don't think the PS pump looks oily. I know we lost liquid.

MASTER TECH :

ok I would inspect the pump and see if it looks wet. also check the power steering rack boots and the valve body these are starting to leak now.

MASTER TECH :

the power steering system is very basic on these cars so a leak will be very easy to find.

Customer:

The container is oily and it looks like it's been leaking.

Customer:

Does this require a lift and someone with experience?

MASTER TECH :

yes these are not real easy to replace the power steering rack. but if just power steering pump is leaking then no rack is needed and simple to replace.

MASTER TECH :

basic hand tools are needed to replace the power steering pump. I would recommend replacing the return line from the power steering pump to the resivior

MASTER TECH :

these will get very brittle and crack and leak

Customer:

How can you tell if it is the rack that is needed or just a pump to replace. We are really novice at this.

MASTER TECH :

if you look at where the outer tie rod end is by the wheel you will see a according type of boot see if their is oil leaking from it check both sides.

MASTER TECH :

if this is dry then check the power steering gear box and see if it's wet if not then most likely the leak is coming from the power steering pump. the pumps leak all the time on these and the bottom of the pump gets wet and runs down the front of the block and the rear of the engine block .

Customer:

Ok.

MASTER TECH :

a rack would be the best way to look at all these items.

Customer:

Is there a way to save this chat?

MASTER TECH :

yes just book mark the page.

MASTER TECH :

then when you come back it will reload the page or look in your email for the link.'

Customer:

Also, I need to step away for about an hour. Once I leave, does this chat end?

MASTER TECH :

I will be working with you until we complet this.

MASTER TECH :

no worries im at work also so I will be off line also.

MASTER TECH :

no check your email it will contail a link to this chat

Customer:

How long do I have you?

MASTER TECH :

until we complete this and you accept. but once you accept the question will remain open so you can always come back to the orginal question .

MASTER TECH :

did you find the email from just answer ?

Customer:

Yes I did.

Customer:

Leaving now.....

MASTER TECH :

ok have a nice day I will check back later today

Customer:

I have no more questions today. Thanks

MASTER TECH : Ok please make sure to rate my service. I strive for all positive marks.