Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Acura RL: For the second summer in a row, after leaving my

For the second summer in a row, after leaving my '03 Acura RL stored for six weeks, it starts up immediately upon return, but engine dies after 20-30 minutes of driving (in hot, humid climate). No sputtering, as if it were running out of fuel, just dies quietly, and won't re-start for at least another 15-20 minutes. Last summer, I apparently finished off the battery attempting to start it too soon and battery was replaced. Perhaps coincidentally (I don't remember if I filled up with a new tank of gas), the problem stopped. But this year, the battery is strong, and, once the problem has cooled off, or whatever's happening, the car starts right up.

Fuel pressure test at shop does not show any reduced pressure in gas line, but they say they can't test the fuel filter without dropping the entire gas tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Patricia Ware
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.
HI,

Do you happen to know if they tested the fuel pressure when the engine would not start?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No, the car re-started and I arrived at the mechanic's about ten minutes after it had re-started. They've not been able to make the car "die" while it's been in their shop, although they admitted they've not driven it out on the street for more than five minutes...

Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

Ok, unfortunately testing the fuel pressure while the engine is starting and running fine is not a conclusive way to know if fuel pump is good or not.

when a car sits in storage for more than a month with gas in the tank, the gas starts to varnish over that time. This can happen inside the fuel pump, the filter, the lines and the fuel injectors.

At this point I would flush the lines, the pump and filter, as well as flush the injectors to clean all varnish out and then test drive while monitoring the fuel pressure with scan tool. If it starts fluctuating or the engine stalls out again, then replace the filter and the fuel pump due to the varnishing of them.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sorry to be dense, but what does "varnish" mean in this context? Is there a deposit, like sediment, that's blocking the fuel line or filter?

Thanks again.

Patricia

Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

The fuel dries to become hard and shiny flakes, which clog the pump, the filter, the lines and the injector ports
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.